Sleep Apnea in Statesboro, GA
Sleep apnea is a serious disorder characterized by interrupted breathing during sleep. It happens when the airway gets partly or fully blocked, causing breathing to pause and resume repeatedly during the night. This interruption in breathing can lead to poor sleep quality and various health complications.
Sleep apnea near you can have a significant impact on your overall well-being. The interrupted sleep patterns associated with sleep apnea can result in excessive daytime sleepiness, fatigue, difficulty concentrating, and irritability. If left untreated, sleep apnea can also contribute to more severe health conditions such as high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, and diabetes.
Types and Causes of Sleep Apnea near you
Types of sleep apnea:
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA): This is the most usual type of sleep apnea and happens when the muscles in the throat do not keep the airway open while sleeping. The soft tissues in the throat fall, leading to breathing breaks and snoring.
- Central Sleep Apnea (CSA): Central sleep apnea is less common and occurs when the brain is unable to send right signals to the muscles that manage breathing during sleep.
- Complex Sleep Apnea Syndrome: This type of sleep apnea is a mix of obstructive sleep apnea and central sleep apnea.
The causes of sleep apnea vary, but common risk factors include obesity, being male, having a family history of sleep apnea, smoking, and certain medical conditions such as nasal congestion, allergies, or a narrow airway.
Symptoms and Complications of Sleep Apnea
The symptoms of sleep apnea may include:
- Loud, chronic snoring.
- Gasping or choking during sleep.
- Daytime sleepiness and fatigue.
- Morning headaches.
- Dry mouth or sore throat upon waking.
- Restless sleep or insomnia.
- Mood changes, irritability, and difficulty concentrating.
Untreated sleep apnea can lead to various complications, including high blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, irregular heartbeat, type 2 diabetes, liver problems, and an increased risk of accidents due to excessive sleepiness during daytime.
Diagnosis and Sleep Apnea Treatment
If you suspect you have sleep apnea, it is important to seek a professional diagnosis with our sleep apnea doctors near you at Ronald A. Tosto DDS & Associates. Diagnosis often involves a sleep study conducted at a dental clinic near you.
Treatment options for sleep apnea may include:
- Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP): CPAP treatment near you involves putting a mask over the nose or mouth while sleeping. It delivers a continuous flow of pressurized air, keeping the airway open and avoiding breathing pauses.
- Oral Appliance Therapy: Custom-fit oral appliances can be used to reposition the jaw and tongue, helping to keep the airway open during sleep. These appliances are comfortable and convenient, offering an alternative to CPAP for milder cases of sleep apnea.
- Lifestyle Changes: Certain lifestyle modifications, such as losing weight, avoiding alcohol and sedatives, and sleeping on your side instead of your back, may help alleviate symptoms of sleep apnea.
Book Your Appointment
Sleep apnea near you is a serious disorder that can severly impact your quality of life. If you are experiencing symptoms of severe sleep apnea or searching for sleep apnea treatment near you, Ronald A. Tosto DDS & Associates in Statesboro, GA, can help. Our experienced dentist in Statesboro, GA, offers comprehensive diagnosis and personalized treatment options to manage severe sleep apnea effectively. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and take the first step towards better sleep and improved overall health.